Guests: Hilary White, Catholic journalist and blogger; Michael Hichborn, President of The Lepanto Institute; Gabriel Ariza, Founding Editor of InfoVaticana.com.
Description: The letter from Pope Benedict praising Pope Francis was written in response to a request that he write something about a new 11-volume set of books on the theology of Pope Francis. Even before the photo of the letter presented to media was altered by the Vatican, the letter has blossomed into controversy over the authenticity of Vatican’s presentation of who Benedict is and what he really thinks. Hilary White, who recently wrote an in-depth report on Benedict’s career, joins Steve to discuss the issues in play.
ALSO: The Vatican is threatening the Spanish-language independent Catholic news website InfoVaticana with a lawsuit if they do not desist using their name — which includes the word Vatican — and turn over their domain ownership the the Vatican Secretariat of State. Steve talks to Michael Hichborn of the Lepanto Institute and Gabriel Ariza, founder of InfoVaticana, in the hopes of getting to the bottom of why the Vatican has hired the second largest website in the world in an attempt to crush a small, Catholic news site.
- Frank LaRocca – In This Place (Amazon)
- Full Text of Benedict XVI’s Letter to Msgr. Viganò (National Catholic Register)
- Vatican Credibility Takes Another Hit: Photo of Benedict Letter Intentionally Altered (1P5)
- The Anatomy of a Rejection Letter: Some Personal Thoughts on the Benedict Correspondence (1P5)
- Et Tu, Benedict? (Some Final Thoughts on Joseph Ratzinger) (The Remnant)
- From Ratzinger to Bergoglio, just the next step in the logical “progression” (What’s Up With Francischurch?)
- Vatican Hires High-Powered Law Firm to Take Down Independent Catholic Website (1P5)
Please remember to stop by and give us a positive review on iTunes so that more people can find our podcast!